13 September 2008

Class dynamics and a positive learning environment

It's been a while since my last post.  Not that I haven't been reflecting on my teaching - as most teachers know, reflection is a constant occurrence, documenting it may be less frequent.

Anyway, I was interested to see my last (written) reflection about class dynamics and am happy to say that things have changed quite a bit for the better.  Strangely though, it's hard to pick what exactly has made the difference.  Probably because it's a combination of many things.

A couple of things I have realised since though.
1. Some of my expectations were based on how my class was last year at the end of the year not the beginning.  I need to remember the journey a class takes in establishing its own community of positive learning.

2. Given time, students are generally able to cope with certain amounts of independent choice in their learning but this does take time to help them learn to manage themselves well when given learning choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment