02 May 2007

Different Perspectives

I had an observation of my teaching today during a writing lesson. The focus was interaction with children. Overall the feedback was very positive.
  • great questioning
  • supportive manner with children
  • clear learning outcomes expressed
  • links with prior learning made
  • whole class, group, and individual interactions
  • good wait times for attention and answers
  • dealing appropriately with distractions
  • children's input/sharing encouraged - leading to further learning
So I should feel good about it, and in terms of the observation focus, I am. However, I found myself inwardly frustrated with the progress of the lesson itself.

Yesterday's lesson was focussed on 'planning for writing an informal letter' Today's was to be 'drafting an informal letter using a plan'. I was discouraged by the small number of students who had completed their plan from yesterday.

I am unsure whether it is lack of focussed work habits or just that I expected too much? But really, I don't think I expected too much. So, one could say I could have collected all the books in to check progress - fair enough, but that can't be done everyday (I had feed back in writing the day prior).

So where to from here? Maybe it's a combination of continuing to give clear direction and learning intentions with the added and continual positive sharing of expectations in regard to quality work and good work habits.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:47 pm

    I think that something that all teachers must learn quickly is that planning is very necessary but it takes amny forms. Sure your bosses will want to see your planning book and stuff but planning is mostly about what goes on in your head. At a recent seminar a speaker, brought from Australia, spoke about the six step method. Returning from morning tea you think about what you are going to do next finalising it in the last six steps to the clssroom. He advised all (including the MOE people whom had brought him to NZ) that he actively teaches teachers the need and techniques to think on their feet and to not rely so much on the bookish planning that has become the requirement of late. I want to tell you that you should fill your planning book as quickly as you can but make sure that your head is full of important things you want to teach and of knowledge about the subject and the children you are teaching - then you will begin to feel better. You will be just a day ahead (or six steps maybe!) but that is what you should be any more then you will be less a teacher and more an adminstrator.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete